Warm Tips

Vacancies for English Language Teacher

We need two foreign teachers teaching English language in our university, Shanghai Maritime University. Learn more about Shanghai Maritime University at en.shmtu.edu.cn .

Job Description:

The teachers will work in College of Foreign Languages to teach English majors Oral English, English Writing, English Listening, Pronunciation,etc.

Job updated: Nov. 25, 2015

Application Close date: May 15, 2016

Work City: Shanghai

No. of Hiring: 2

Job Type: Full time. Contract will be signed on a yearly basis.


- Native English speaker from the US, UK, Australia, Canada, New Zealand

- Under 62 years old

- Master’s Degree or higher, preferably Master of Arts in English Language and Literature or Master of Education

- 2 years of experience in English teaching or more

- TESOL /TEFL certificate is highly desired

- Outgoing and responsible individuals, passionate about teaching


1. 18~20 classes per week, each class lasting 45 mins.Work schedule will be from Monday to Friday.September through January, and March through June terms.

2. Organize weekly English Corner activities, which last for 1.5hours per week

3. Tutor the students in preparing for contests such as the Spoken EnglishContest, English Essay Contest, etc.

1. Salary to be negotiated

2. Free accommodation in a well-equipped two-bedroom apartment in the campus

3. One free round-trip international air ticket per year

4. Airport pick-up

5. Medical insurance and life insurance

Contact & Required Documentation:

If you meet our requirements and are interested, please email the following documentation to Ms. Ding at ssding@shmtu.edu.cn

- Current resume, stating your nationality of origin  

- Copy of the ID page of your valid passport  

- Copy of your highest degree and other qualifications  

- Current photo  

- References with contact information  

Dear International Faculties,

Here are some tips about how to visit orwork at Shanghai Maritime Universityand what you can do after you are here.

First, please find which college or what research areas of SMU you areinterested in. Check here for more information of SMU colleges and schools.

Then you can contact the International Office by email ssding@shmtu.edu.cn ,and send your CV.

Second, get yourself a visa.

You can come to China with two kinds of Visa, Z(working) visa and F (visiting) Visa.

a)       F Visa (less than 3 months) Application Process

1, After yousend your CV and the application form, Shanghai Maritime University will decide whether your application is approved or not.
2, As soon as your application is approved by SMU, we will send you an official invitation letter.

3, After youreceive the invitation letter, you should apply for a visa at the Chinesee mbassy in your country or at your local Chinese consulate.

4, F Visa canbe extended once for another 30 days during your legal stay in China.

b)      Z visa (1 year or more) Application Process

1, Overseas teachers who would stay in China for at least one year may apply for Z Visa three months before working here.

2, Send your CVand the application form, Shanghai Maritime University will decide whether your application is approved or not.

3, As soon as your application is approved, send all the required materials to International Office of SMU.

Required Application Materials are:

                        i.             Copy of your valid passport;

                       ii.             Complete and detailed CV;

                      iii.             Copy of your highest degree certificate;

                     iv.             Copy signed contract;

                     v.             Copy of applicant's health examination report.

                   vi.              Marriage certificate if your husband/wife comes with you,and copy of his/her valid passport

                  vii.             Birth Certificate if your child (under 18 years old) comeswith you, and his/her valid passports

4, After you receive an invitation letter and a working permit from SMU, you should apply for a visa to China at the Chinese embassy in your country or at your local consulate.